South America Here We Come

I cannot contain my excitement about the fact that today, after months of thinking about it and looking into it, I have finally booked a trip to South America!  I have never stepped foot on this continent and now I get the thrill of visiting 3 of its countries – Peru, Argentina and Brazil.  And the fact that I was at work when I booked this did not stop me from jumping up and down with excitement (although I may have run to the privacy of the toilets a few times before doing this away from the curious glances of my colleagues!).

Pretty much me at work today

Pretty much me at work today

I’ve wanted to do the Inca Trail and visit Machu Picchu for a while now and, boys being boys, my husband and our friend were keen on being in Brazil for the World Cup.  So it made sense to do the trips at the same time.  Argentina was an unexpected bonus, as a stopover in Iguassu Falls is kind of on the way.  Because seriously, who can resist visiting this beauty…

After a very long 13 hour flight (but I don’t care cos I’m going to South America!) our first stop will be Lima where, after a day of exploring, we’ll join the Amazon to the Andes tour with G Adventures.  I’ve browsed their trip brochures for years but have never actually got round to doing one even though I’ve heard great things.  The tour will take us to the mountain town of Cuzco where we’ll see some sacred sites, visit some local communities and hopefully acclimatise before the 4 day Inca Trail hike, finishing way up in the mountains at the stunning Machu Picchu.

We’ll then explore the Amazon Rainforest where hopefully I’ll be able to sleep at night without thoughts of spiders crawling all over me.  Cue nightmarish memories from sleeping in a little cabin in Cape Tribulation in Australia.  *Shudder*.  (But I don’t care cos I’ll be in South America!)

Then we’ll hop on a flight to Iguassu Falls where we’ll get to see both the Argentinean and Brazilian sides of the Falls before heading on to Rio.

Yes, I know that this is the most popular city for the World Cup but we can’t go to Brazil and not go to Rio de Janeiro.  We will be there for 2 of the group stage games so I’m hoping that we’ll be lucky enough to get tickets but, even if we don’t, I’m sure just the atmosphere alone will make it all worthwhile.  During the World Cup in South Africa, I watched a game in a bar in Tanzania and just the atmosphere alone, in a different African country, was incredible.

I’ve already spoken to a few people who will be out there at around the same time as us but anyone else who’s going let me know as it would be great to meet up!

I may be a lot poorer now than I was this morning and I may have to actually start doing some exercise in preparation for the Inca Trail, but…I don’t care cos I’m going to South America!!

20 thoughts on “South America Here We Come

1. thegrownupgapyear says:

Eeek so excited for you! South America stole my heart eight years ago and after three different trips there I’m still longing to go back . Let me know if you need any info on Inca Trail or places to visit while you’re out there x

2. Brigid says:

Yay for South America! How exciting, and being in Brazil for the world cup will be incredible. We’re traveling through South America at the moment and absolutely love it so far…the food, the people, the nature…just wonderful. We head off to Lima tomorrow to begin our Peru leg and very much looking forward to Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley.

We’ve also decided to live in Sucre, Bolivia for a couple of months, so if you decide to head that way feel free to say hi 🙂 Happy planning!

• Ayla says:

Oh wow that sounds awesome! I don’t think we’ll get time for Bolivia but I would love to go back one day. I’ll be keeping an eye out on your adventures now which I’m sure will make me even more excited!

3. Sharon says:

Yay! South America is awesome!! Rio is the most gorgeous city in the world and Argentina is my favourite country – I can’t get enough of that place!! The Inca Trail is certainly an experience – I actually just wrote a post about how it wasn’t really for me (won’t be published until next week), but I do understand why so many people love it 🙂 You will have a great time!!

4. Jonno Weiss says:

You guys will be doing the reverse to us (we’re starting World Cup then heading to Machu Picchu etc.) Will be sure to keep an eye out for your posts before we get there 🙂

5. Michelle Chaplow says:

A couple of weeks ago, I found my hand written diary from a year traveling in South America over 20 years ago now and I was as excited then as you are today. My South American trip changed my career, my life and my country of residence. Hope it will do the same for you.

• Ayla says:

Oh wow that’s an amazing thing to come across so long after! Must have been an interesting read! I’m only out there for 3 weeks but I tend to fall in love with places and people very easily 🙂